Vishal Goyal, Senior Manager – Technical Marketing, Analog and MEMS Group, RF, Sensors and Analog Custom Products, India, Asean and ANZ, STMicroelectronics talks about the company’s expertise and on how ST marked the leadership tag in the MEMS and Sensor Market. Excerpts.
- Can you please discuss the new strategies for MEMS of STMicroelectronics and also highlight its differentiating factors?
ST is at the center of the evolution of the MEMS and sensors industry, driving continuous innovation for more diverse applications of sensors and micro-actuators with wide-ranging product portfolio, reliable supply chain and strong ecosystem of global and local partners. We are the one-stop MEMS supplier of choice offering an unrivalled comprehensive portfolio of micro-machined accelerometers, gyroscopes, pressure, magnetic and acoustic sensors, and microphones and has the capability to manufacture these in multi-sensor combos with on-board processing, control functions, sensor-fusion algorithms, and wireless connectivity
- India has a huge potential in MEMS segment, but what could be the possible trends in it?
India is a land of opportunities and it is emerging as a manufacturing hub. Global customers are setting up Design and Manufacturing activities in India. This is open good opportunities for MEMS and sensors in India
According to Gartner, MEMS-based smart sensors are set to gain maximum traction in the worldwide smart sensor market that is forecast to grow to $57.77 billion by 2022; at 18.1% CAGR. The market is driven by factors including concern toward security & surveillance, rising need for energy-efficient devices, growing consumer electronics sector, surge in automotive industry on a global basis, favorable government initiatives, and growing trend of miniaturization in sensors.
MEMS in India is at its starting point. STMicroelectronics has partnered with many Indian companies and have been working with some of them for two years and now their products are being sold in Europe and USA markets. We hope more and more customers can know MEMS better and will want to work together to incorporate the features of our devices to benefit their products.
- Can you share focus of ST for the “Wearable Technologies”?
ST sees Wearable Technology as a major opportunity to augment the world, from empowering individuals to be more creative and productive to addressing global societal challenges such as the world’s ageing population. We work with customers worldwide to deploy our world-class capabilities in all four key semiconductor technologies – sensors, embedded processing, connectivity and power management – and our unrivalled track record in close partnering with customers to deliver today’s solutions.
- Talk about ST’s latest products.
A. SensorTile connectable sensor node: plug or solder
STEVAL-STLCS01V1 (SensorTile) is a highly integrated reference design that can be pluggedinto form-factor prototypes, adding sensing and connectivity capabilities to new designs through a smart hub solution. It can also easily support development of monitoring and tracking applications like standalone sensor nodes connected to iOS™ or Android™ smartphone applications.
The SensorTile occupies a very small 13.5 x 13.5mm square outline, with all the electroniccomponents on the top side and a smallconnector on the bottom side to plug it onto thecradle expansion board. The connector pinout isrepeated on 18 PCB pads to render theSensorTile a solderable system on module aswell.
- Very compact module for motion, audio, environmental sensing and Bluetooth® low
energy connectivity with a complete set of firmware examples
- Mobile connectivity via the ST BlueMS app, available for iOS™ and Android™
- STM32L476 – 32-bit ultra-low-power MCU with Cortex®M4F
- LSM6DSM – iNEMO inertial module:3D accelerometer and 3D gyroscope
- LSM303AGR – Ultra-compact high performance eCompass module: ultralow
- power 3D accelerometer and 3D magnetometer
- LPS22HB – MEMS nano pressure sensor: 260-1260 hPa absolute digital
- output barometer
- MP34DT04 – 64 dB SNR digital MEMS microphone
- BlueNRG-MS – Bluetooth low energy network processor
- BALF-NRG-01D3 – 50 Ω balun with integrated harmonic filter
- LD39115J18R – 150 mA low quiescent current low noise LDO 1.8 V
- 2 V – 5.5 V power supply range External interfaces: UART, SPI, SAI (serial
- audio interface), I²C, DFSDM, USB OTG, ADC, GPIOs
- Pluggable or solderable interface
- SWD interface for debugging and programming capability
- RoHS complian
B. SandPuppy FITBELT
SandPuppy FITBELT is a smartphone-controlled, pain relief device with a deep, penetrating heat and micro-vibration for on-the-move back-pain relief. The device embeds ST’s low-power microcontroller (STM32L0), Bluetooth™ low energy (BLE) network processor (BlueNRG-MS), and a high-side driver (VN5012AK-E).
ST product inside:
- Micro-controller: STM32L051C8T6
- Access line ultra-low-power 32-bit MCU ARM®-based Cortex®-Mo+,up to 64 KB Flash, 8 KB SRAM, 2 KB EEPROM, ADC
- Bluetooth: BlueNRG-MS
- The BlueNRG-MS is a very low power Bluetooth low energy (BLE) single-mode network processor, compliant with Bluetooth specification v4.1
- High Side Driver: VN5012AK-E
- Portability – Use it wherever you go, while working, in your car or in flight
- Heating – Deep warmth with temperatures adjustable up to 60 degrees Celsius
- Micro Vibration – Adjustable vibration levels to add a soothing hum and melt away the pain
- Smart – Customize heat and vibration levels on a user friendly SandPuppy app
- Fitbelt Dimensions : Length – 45″ Width – 6.75″ Height – 0.5″ to 1″
- Comes with its own charger, mobile app, travel pouch and size extender
- Conceptualized, designed and assembled this product in India by Afferent Wearable Tech Private Limited