Quantum is making continuous enhancement to its scale-out storage portfolio now announces enhancement of its acclaimed StorNext scale-out file system. The new enhanced StorNext release 5.4 takes unstructured data management to higher levels of efficiency and flexibility. It includes the ability to integrate existing public cloud storage accounts and third-party object storage — starting with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, NetApp StorageGRID, IBM Cleversafe and Scality RING — as tiers in a StorNext-unified namespace.
Another new feature provides embedded application deployment in StorNext appliances, leveraging industry-standard virtualization technology to simplify integration with asset manager, data management and data sharing applications.
StorNext: Powerful File System and Multi-Tier Data Management
Long used for bandwidth-intensive video capture, production and distribution workflows, StorNext is increasingly being deployed by data-intensive enterprises around the globe for a broad range of use cases, including:
- Technical computing and big data analytics in imaging environments such as genomics, academic research and video surveillance.
- Real-time editing and manipulation of massive media datasets for entertainment.
- High-performance archive.
- Large-scale content repositories.
StorNext provides a unique combination of:
- The fastest streaming file system performance in the industry.
- Automated, policy-based data management through StorNext Storage Manager for cost-effective tiering across primary disk, object storage, tape and the cloud.
- Heterogeneous OS support (Windows, Linux, UNIX, MacOS).
- Multi-protocol support, including Fibre Channel, Ethernet, InfiniBand, iSCSI, NFS, SMB/CIFS and S3.
StorNext 5.4 Enhancements
StorNext 5.4 provides a number of new features and benefits, including:
- Seamless Cloud Integration — A new feature in StorNext Storage Manager enables users to move data into and out of their public cloud accounts and/or existing third-party object storage (private cloud), thereby extending their StorNext-managed, tiered storage environment, protecting prior investments and reducing the cost and complexity of cloud storage administration. StorNext 5.4 currently provides support for AWS (S3, Glacier, GovCloud, C2S) and Microsoft Azure and also offers a connection to the Google Cloud through standard S3 protocol. Augmenting Quantum’s own Lattus object storage, StorNext 5.4 includes support for NetApp StorageGRID, IBM Cleversafe and Scality RING, and Quantum plans to add integration for other object storage offerings.
- Embedded Applications — Dynamic Application Environment (DAE) is a virtual computing space on StorNext-powered Xcellis workflow storage appliances that enables applications to run within the high-performance, shared storage environment. By eliminating the need for dedicated servers and additional networking, the DAE reduces the time, cost and complexity of deploying and maintaining applications.
- Expanded SSD Options — A new Xcellis configuration includes SSD-based metadata storage at a lower price for smaller deployments with high-performance requirements.
StorNext 5.4 is currently shipping with all newly purchased Xcellis, StorNext M-Series and StorNext Pro Solutions offerings, as well as Artico archive appliances. It is available at no additional cost for StorNext 5 users under current support contracts.
Quantum’s Scale-out Storage Momentum
Over the past two years, the company has added a range of new offerings that reinforce its end-to-end approach to managing data, from high-performance ingest to long-term archiving. These offerings include Xcellis, Artico, QXS hybrid storage, a new StorNext AEL tape library and StorNext Connect management tools, which have been well-received by customers and partners, won numerous product awards and been recognized by independent analysts.
Quantum asserts to have leveraged its enhanced portfolio and long-standing expertise in scale-out storage to extend the benefits of StorNext-powered solutions to a broader base of customers.
Molly Rector, Vice President, Global Marketing, Quantum, said, “More and more enterprises are finding that traditional NAS and general-purpose, scale-out storage solutions can’t meet today’s demands for managing their growing unstructured data volumes, so they’re turning to Quantum for their storage needs. We provide a unique
combination of the fastest streaming performance, low-cost capacity and efficient data access — all in a unified namespace that enables users to store, share, preserve and utilize their digital assets to drive business and organizational success.”