Today, Drones which are part of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) have established themselves as a cost-effective and efficient option for commercial applications such as surveying, navigation, and aerial photography, among others, and are positioned to have a significant impact across industries. As a result, there is a growing demand for trained professionals who can operate and maintain these drones, creating new job opportunities in the drone sector. This article will provide an overview of the drone industry and the career opportunities it presents, including the key skills and personal attributes that can be beneficial for individuals interested in pursuing a career as a drone service technician. It will also discuss the potential career paths and progression opportunities for drone service technicians, as well as the role of organizations such as the Electronics Sector Skills Council of India (ESSCI) in supporting the growth of the drone sector.
Let’s understand about drone
A drone is a type of aircraft that is operated remotely, either by a person using a remote control or by a computer program. Drones are also known as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or unmanned aerial systems (UASs). They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and designs, and can be used for a wide range of purposes. Drones are typically equipped with cameras, sensors, and other technology that allows them to capture images and data, navigate, and perform tasks autonomously. Some drones are small and lightweight, while others are larger and more complex. The use of drones has grown rapidly in recent years, with businesses, governments, and individuals using them for a variety of applications.
Career as a drone service technician
A career as a drone service technician can be an exciting and rewarding opportunity for individuals who are interested in working with cutting-edge technology and helping businesses and organizations solve problems using drones. As a drone service technician, you would be responsible for maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting drones, as well as assisting customers with using drones for various applications. You must also adhere to the regulations for various categories of drones as mentioned by DGCA, Government of India. To build your career as a drone service technician, you will need to have a strong foundation in electronics and technology, as well as a good understanding of drones and their various components.
You may also need to obtain certification or a license to work as a drone service technician, depending on the regulations in your area. To gain the necessary skills and knowledge, you can pursue a degree or certificate program in drone technology or a related field, such as aviation or engineering. You can also gain experience by working as a drone operator or technician for a company that uses drones, or by volunteering with organizations that use drones for various purposes. As you gain experience and build your reputation, you may be able to advance to more senior roles or start your own drone service business.
Why Career Opportunities in the Drone Sector in India
There are many reasons why a career in the drone sector in India can be a good opportunity. For one, the use of drones in India is growing rapidly, with businesses, governments, and individuals increasingly using them for a variety of purposes. This growth is creating a demand for trained professionals who can operate, maintain, and repair drones, as well as develop new applications and technologies. In addition, the drone sector in India is relatively new and rapidly evolving, so there are many opportunities to learn, innovate, and contribute to the development of the industry. Additionally, a career in the drone sector can be rewarding, both financially and personally, as you will be working with cutting-edge technology and helping to solve real-world problems. Finally, the drone sector offers a wide range of job opportunities, from hands-on technician roles to more technical and strategic positions, so you can choose the type of work that best matches your interests and skills.
Additionally, the Indian government is taking steps to regulate and promote the use of drones, which is helping to create a more favorable environment for businesses and individuals to invest in this technology. Overall, the growing drone industry in India presents a range of exciting career opportunities for individuals with the right skills and experience.
ESSCI initiatives for Drone Sector
The council has aligned its skilling competencies with the industry requirements and developed a curriculum for creating a skilled and certified Drone Service Technician pool with relevant technical capabilities, thus giving a boost to the growth of the sector along with creating employment opportunities for the youth of the country. ESSCI is building an eco-system for drone technology and making a pool of industry and academia. Recently, ESSCI has signed three MoUs, one with Kaushalya – The Skill University, with IG Drone, a leading player of the drone sector for developing university-based curriculum and industry-oriented training, with Kambill, another big player in the drone and simulation segment.
What a Drone Service Technician Does?
A drone service technician is a trained professional who is responsible for maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting drones. Drone service technicians may work for companies that use drones for various purposes, such as surveying, photography, delivery, or mapping, or they may work for companies that specialize in servicing drones. The specific tasks that a drone service technician performs can vary depending on the type of drones they work with and the industry they work in. Some common responsibilities of a drone service technician include:
- Installing and configuring drone hardware and software
- Calibrating sensors and other equipment on drones
- Performing regular maintenance and inspections on drones
- Troubleshooting and repairing drones when they experience problems
- Testing drones to ensure they are operating correctly
- Providing training and support to customers who use drones
- Keeping records of maintenance and repair work performed on drones
Drone service technicians typically have a strong background in electronics and technology and may have a degree or certification in drone technology or a related field. They must have a good understanding of drones and their various components, as well as the ability to diagnose and fix problems with these systems.
Personal Attributes of a drone service technician
There are several personal attributes that can be helpful for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career as a drone service technician. These may include:
- Strong technical skills: Drone service technicians need to have a good understanding of electronics, technology, and drones in order to diagnose and fix problems with these aircraft.
- Attention to detail: Drone service technicians need to be meticulous and detail-oriented in order to ensure that drones are functioning properly and are safe to use.
- Problem-solving abilities: Drone service technicians often need to troubleshoot complex problems, and being able to think critically and come up with creative solutions can be important for success in this field.
- Customer service skills: Drone service technicians may interact with customers and assist them with using drones for various applications. Being able to provide excellent customer service and support can be important for building a successful career in this field.
- Physical fitness: Drone service technicians may need to be physically fit in order to perform tasks such as climbing ladders or carrying equipment.
- Safety awareness: Drone service technicians need to be aware of safety guidelines and regulations, and be able to take the necessary precautions to prevent accidents and injuries.
Overall, being able to combine technical expertise with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to safety can be important for success as a drone service technician
Career Progression of a drone service technician
The career progression of a drone service technician may vary depending on the individual’s experience, skills, and interests, as well as the specific organization they work for. However, there are generally several career paths that a drone service technician can pursue. Some possible career progression options for a drone service technician include:
- Moving into more senior roles within a company: As you gain experience and expertise as a drone service technician, you may be able to move into more senior roles within the company you work for. This could involve taking on additional responsibilities, such as managing a team of technicians, training new employees, or working on more complex projects.
- Obtaining additional certification or training: To advance your career as a drone service technician, you may choose to pursue additional certification or training in a specific area of expertise, such as drone photography or mapping. This can help you to become more specialized and enhance your value as an employee.
- Starting your own drone service business: With sufficient experience and expertise, you may decide to start your own drone service business, providing services to customers in your area. This can be a challenging but rewarding career path, allowing you to be your own boss and work on your own terms.
- Moving into other fields related to drones: As the drone industry continues to grow and evolve, there may be opportunities to move into other fields that are related to drones, such as software development, data analysis, or product design. This could involve changing careers or pursuing additional education or training.