Broadcom Corporation at CES has claimed to rollout the industry’s highest performing Near Field Communications (NFC) controller. The BCM20797 provides greater transaction range, improved security and faster transaction speeds, it is asserted to revolutionize mobile payments and transit applications.
With the most competitive BOM cost and smallest PCB footprint, the BCM20797 helps OEMs to seamlessly and cost-effectively integrate NFC into smaller form factor mobile devices and wearables.
The new BCM20797 also includes an innovative new capability called Virtual Execution Environment (VEE), which greatly improves performance of host card emulation (HCE).
VEE reduces HCE transactions to half their time, improves security without the need for a secure element (SE), and can perform transactions with the host off so users can still make a transaction when their device is powered off.
“Broadcom continues to bring improved capability and superior integration to provide a new benchmark for NFC applications,” said Dino Bekis, Broadcom Vice President of Product Marketing, Wireless Connectivity Combos. “By incorporating new features like VEE and driving down the overall solution footprint, we’re making it easier for our customers to accelerate adoption of this technology into smartphones as well as emerging device categories like smart watches.”
- Supports ISO/IEC 18092, ISO/IEC 21481, ISO/ IEC 14443 Types A, B, and B’, Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) (X) 6319-4, and ISO/IEC 15693 standards
- Improved reader mode range for all tag types with a Tx drive up to 1W
- Supports Reader/Writer (R/W) mode, Active and Passive Peer (P2P) mode and Tag/Card Emulation mode
- Enhances Low-Power Target Detection (LPTD) mode and Broadcom proprietary Reverse Low-Power Target Detection (rLPTD) for extremely low average current consumption
- Supports FeliCa and MIFARE
- Supports latest NFC forum specifications, NFC Controller Interface NCI 2.0 backwards compatible with NCI 1.1
The BCM20797 also has first of its kind 6cm transaction range with a 10x10mm2 antenna. The BCM20797 also has a proprietary feature that reduces power consumption by 50 percent when polling for a tag.
The BCM20797 is currently sampling.