Cisco has announced its manufacturing operations in a partnership with Government of Maharashtra (GoM), alongside together it has announced multiple new local strategic initiatives to back the digital transformation of the state.
Key initiatives include:
- Citywide deployment of a smart city framework to roll out Smart City solutions in the city of Nagpur.
- Digital learning for students and skills development for local entrepreneurs in Dharavi to create an eCommerce hub.
- Expansion of the Cisco Networking Academy program, and digital education and healthcare initiatives in Fetri village.
Through this new manufacturing unit, Cisco is sought to roll out a diverse product portfolio in India to support the government’s Make in India initiative. The company also cited to use its India manufacturing operations to produce and ship orders for customers in India, as well as for testing, development, logistics, and in-house repair capabilities.
The American Networking giant also announced its ongoing commitment to accelerate Digital Maharashtra, including several initiatives to ensure that all of India’s citizens benefit from the power of connectivity. These initiatives include:
- Nagpur: India’s First CityWide Deployment of a Smart City Framework enabled by Cisco City Digital Platform
- Dharavi eCommerce Hub: Bringing Digital Learning and Connectivity to Students and Skills Development for Local Entrepreneurs
- Expansion of Cisco Networking Academy Program to Support Skill India and Increase Maharashtra’s Pool of Highly Trained Professionals
- Wi-Fi, Smart Education and Smart Healthcare to Digitize Fetri Village
Cisco to Collaborate on the Rollout of Broadband Infrastructure
The launch of the manufacturing operations took place in the presence of the Chief Minister of
Maharashtra, Shri Devendra Fadnavis; the CEO of the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog, Shri Amitabh Kant; Smt. Aruna Sundararajan, Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India; Cisco CEO Chuck Robbins; Irving Tan, Senior Vice President, Cisco Asia Pacific and Japan; Dinesh Malkani, President, Cisco India & SAARC; and Jun Kim, Vice President, Cisco Supply Chain Operations.
Shri Devendra Fadnavis, Honourable Chief Minister of Maharashtra, said, “Digital transformation has emerged as the most transformative means to ignite sustainable growth and improve society. Digitization creates economic competitiveness, enables ease of doing business, improves public services, increases GDP, creates employment, and enhances the quality of life of citizens. My vision for digital Maharashtra is to digitally empower every citizen, increase the state’s global competitiveness by creating a highly skilled workforce ready for the jobs of the future, build an environment that stimulates exceptional companies, and enable outstanding public services for citizens. We are happy to partner with Cisco in the Digital Maharashtra initiative and we believe Cisco’s global experience and expertise in digitization will benefit Maharashtra immensely and accelerate the digitization of the state.”