Clarivate Analytics has recently released the 2019 edition of the India Innovation report and announcedthe winners of the India Innovation Awards.
The 2019 India Innovation Report contains a comprehensive analysis of patents published between 2016 and 2018.
The analysis was conducted using Derwent Innovation, a leading patent research and analytics platform from Clarivate Analytics.
The report shows that local innovation has grown at an average annual rate of 16% over the last five years, as measured by India priority patent publications (patents that are first filed in India). The share of India priority publications within the overall patents published in India has consistently grown from 25% in 2016 to 34% in 2018, suggesting a strengthening of local innovation. Of the top 30 organizations who published India priority patents, 18 are resident Indian organizations.
Amongst published patents, the top five technology areas identified in the report are Computing, Polymers & Plastics, Communications, Pharmaceuticals, and Electric Power Engineering.
“The patent trends outlined in the report highlight India’s success as both a source and destination of innovation,” said Arvind Pachhapur, Vice President, Clarivate Analytics.
“There is a growing number of innovative start-ups in the country. That, along with significant investments in R&D by leading companies in the region and the active participation of premier research and academic institutes in IP creation, speaks of an encouraging trend for the country”
Key Insight of the Report:
- In the years from 2014 to 2018, India priority patent publications grew at a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) to 16%.
- 60,355 India priority patents were published in the country between 2016 and 2018. This is an increase over previous study period (2015-17) that had 54,481 publications.
- India priority patents as a percentage of total patent publication in the country has risen consistently, from 25% in 2016 to 34% on 2018. This indicates steady growth in inventive idea of local origin, and the importance of India as a market to protect IP.
- The top five organizations in this period by highest number of patents published are Huawei, Council for scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Samsung, Ericsson and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- Out of the top 30 organizations based on India priority patents published, 18 are India Headquartered organizations.
- Among published patents, the top five technology areas identified are Computing, Polymers & Plastics, Communications, Pharmaceuticals and Electric Power Engineering.
- The fastest growing areas, in terms of CAGR over the last 5 years, are Communications (+31%), Computing (+27%), Automobiles(+26%), and Instrumentation (+25%).
- The awareness and importance given to patents in the academic sector continues progressively and the Indian Institutes of Technology lead the way alongside several private institutions.
The India Innovation Awards 2019 honor organizations and institutions on the merit of their patent portfolios. They are based on extensive patent portfolio analysis of almost 250 organizations that are headquartered in India and have more than 25 India priority patent publications across 2016-2018.The award selection criteria include overall volume of patent publications, number of unique inventions, patent grant success, extent of globalization of patents and the citations received by the patents.
For more info, click here