element14 fosters its IoT portfolio by adding new NXP low-cost development platform. The FRDM-KW40Z is enabled by the Kinetis W series KW40Z/30Z/20Z (KW40Z) family and is ideal for applications in the IoT space, including home automation, building automation and healthcare.
Built on the ARM Cortex-M0+ processor, FRDM-KW40Z features
- Integrated 2.4 GHz transceiver supporting Bluetooth Smart/Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) v4.1 and/or IEEE 802.15.4standards.
- The kit contains two boards, enabling point-to-point, out of the box connectivity.
- Each board can be configured as a Freedom development board or as a Freedom shield for connection to a host processor.
- The FRDM-KW40Z hardware is form-factor compatible with the Arduino R3 pin layout, providing a broad range of expansion board options.
- The FRDM-KW40Z also features a highly-sensitive, optimised 2.4 GHz radio with PCB F-antenna, which can be bypassed for connection to test equipment via SMA connection, multiple power supply options, push and capacitive touch buttons, switches, LEDs and integrated sensors.
The USB-KW40Z, also added to the element14 portfolio is the same development platform as the FRDM-KW40Z, but available on a convenient USB dongle form factor. The USB-KW40Z can be used as a Bluetooth Smart/Bluetooth Low Energy and/or IEEE 802.15.4 packet sniffer or development board for optimal connectivity and efficiency.
The packet sniffers are essential for wireless network development, allowing over-the-air traffic monitoring, with the BLE and 802.15.4 protocols allowing the continued development of power efficient IoT applications, including BLE functionality in the health and fitness wearables.
David Shen, Chief Technology Officer at Premier Farnell, said, “The growing demand for IoT applications is driving an increased need for development platforms that enable engineers to integrate low cost, low power network protocols into their designs. By introducing the FRDM-KW40Z and USB-KW40Z to our ever-expanding portfolio of IoT products and capabilities, we can give the engineering community access to the very latest technologies that will help them to push the boundaries of innovation in connectivity and IoT applications.”
Availability and Pricing
The FRDM-KW40Z (priced from S$248.53) and USB-KW40Z (priced from S$110.74) are available from element14 in Asia.