Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) introduces new shared storage solutions to modernize
small and midsized businesses (SMBs) IT processes with hybrid flash and software-defined storage platforms. The company also aims to bring enterprise storage data services to the entry space with modern storage to eliminate technology dead ends.
The new range includes, the new HPE StoreVirtual 3200 which is touted to provide a next-generation, entry storage array with an easy on-ramp to software-defined storage while the HPE MSA 2042 delivers hybrid flash for application acceleration. Both systems are sought to feature a rich set of data services from data migration, to flash tiering to embedded resiliency across systems and sites.
Stating on the new rollout, Joybrata Mukherjee, Country Head, Storage, Hewlett Packard Enterprise India said, “No matter your size, when it comes to today’s digital transformation, ‘good enough’ storage is no longer good enough. By lowering the cost of flash and enabling a composable data fabric across storage systems and hyper-converged appliances, HPE is helping customers get off the disposable technology treadmill and onto storage they can grow with, not out of.”
Built on HPE’s leading software-defined storage platform, the new HPE StoreVirtual 3200 Storage:
- A next generation, flexible shared storage system leveraging small and midsized storage customers with a new dual-controller array based on 64-bit ARM technology, a new RAID stack and advanced storage data services like snapshots, thin provisioning and replication at an unprecedented price point.
- The new solution is also said to provide customers with a futureproof and risk-free path for growth through a composable data fabric that spans HPE StoreVirtual Systems and VSA software running seamlessly on HPE ProLiant servers, HPE hyperconverged appliances, and HPE Synergy.
- By using the same software-defined storage operating system everywhere, HPE’s vision is to provide customers the freedom to grow in any direction, at any time, across any form factor or consumption model.
- Architected on a foundation with proven 5-nines availability, the HPE StoreVirtual 3200 is a new breed of StoreVirtual array that gives customers the flexibility to consolidate workloads, add flash when they are ready and scale to meet future demands.
Advanced features are available which allow the system to address real-time workload changes by dynamically reacting to I/O fluctuations. This approach utilizes a small amount of flash storage to deliver application acceleration with no user intervention—making it ideal for server virtualization and productivity apps.
Additionally, the HPE StoreVirtual 3200 introduces SMB customers to a consumer-driven user experience based on the same intuitive design framework now shared across HPE’s enterprise storage and data center offerings. This simplicity extends to a new remote, cloud-based analytics capability featuring a built-in best practices engine and capacity planning tools to simplify management and reduce risk.
For additional protection, with software such as HPE VM Explorer, data can be backed up and stored on HPE StoreOnce Disk Backup.
To ease the technology transition, tools such as HPE StoreVirtual Migration Manager Software are available to simplify and de-risk workload migrations. Existing StoreVirtual customers will find the StoreVirtual3200 can provide the same performance and capacity at 58 percent lower cost than existing 2-node StoreVirtual 4000 configurations.
Entry SAN array gets flash makeover
The new HPE MSA 2042 takes HPE’s flagship entry array, turbo-charges it with 800 GB of built-in solid state disk (SSD) capacity plus an all-inclusive software suite that is known to delivers enterprise capabilities. With flash acceleration, automated tiering and data protection features now standard and price-reduced, the MSA 2042 delivers up to 60 percent increase in database transactions per second and 80 percent faster application response times at a 54 percent cost savings, making it ideal for customers looking to accelerate apps such as databases and consolidate on a proven platform.
With simple management designed for IT generalists and HPE ProLiant server users, the MSA 2042 offers the same ease of use as the rest of the MSA family. It provides the flexibility to use built-in SSD capacity as either a read cache accelerator or as a performance tier for read and write acceleration with no additional licensing costs. The system features a “set-and-forget” tiering engine that optimizes flash capacity by reacting on-the-fly without manual intervention.
Out-of-the-box support for up to 512 array snapshots and remote replication to any MSA system provides affordable application availability with instant recovery to help businesses protect their data and their businesses. A replication wizard simplifies the task of setting up and establishing replication pairs from a unified, easy-to-use GUI.
To protect investments and eliminate technology dead-ends, the MSA 2042 allows businesses to start small and scale with any combination of supported flash and traditional disk drives.As with the other members of the MSA family, the 2042 offers data-in-place upgrades that eliminate data migration headaches and allow customers to carry forward their drive investments.
- HPE StoreVirtual 3200 storage systems are available worldwide, orderable immediately.
- HPE MSA 2042 storage systems are available worldwide, orderable immediately.
- HPE StoreVirtual Migration Manager available worldwide by September 2016.
Based on third-party testing of MSA 2042 with built-in SSDs and read cache vs. MSA 2040 with HDDs. .