HPE Extends Energy-Efficiency Leadership with #1 Ranking System on Green500 List
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) announces a new generation of High Performance Computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI) systems, software and services.
Dubbed as HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10, HPE SGI 8600 and HPE Apollo 10 Series systems are workload-optimized to deliver faster, more efficient insights while reducing vulnerability to cyber-attacks and improving economic control.
New Optimized Systems for Extreme Compute Performance
HPE SGI 8600 System – The first co-created system since HPE acquired SGI, the HPE SGI 8600 is a liquid cooled petascale system, based on the legacy SGI ICE XA architecture, purpose-built to solve the most complex scientific, engineering and national security challenges and:
- Delivers industry’s fastest parallel processing performance
- Scales to more than 10,000 nodes without additional switches using integrated switches and hypercube technology
- Offers more choice and flexibility based on industry standards
HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 System – The next generation of HPE’s large commercial, air-cooled, HPC platform was redesigned to deliver over 300 teraflops per rack, higher rack-scale efficiency and exceptional price performance. The HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 is also the most secure HPC system in the world leveraging a unique “silicon root of trust” technology for security threat protection. Key new capabilities of this system include:
- Industry leading reliability, accessibility, serviceability and manageability
- Greater application licensing efficiency
- Reduced latency and higher IOPs performance
- Reduced power consumption and cooling requirements
Chemical company BASF, one of the first users of the HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 system, jointly developed a supercomputer for the digital transformation of chemical research with HPE. This is the largest supercomputer used for industrial chemical research and enables BASF to reduce computer simulation and modeling times from months to days, accelerating time to market and lowering costs.
HPE Apollo 10 Series – New cost effective platforms, optimized for entry level Deep Learning and AI applications that are easy to manage and deploy. The HPE Apollo sx40 System is a 1U dual socket Intel Xeon Gen10 server with support for up to 4 NVIDIA Tesla SXM2 GPUs with NVLink. The HPE Apollo pc40 System is a 1U dual socket Intel Xeon Gen10 server with support for up to 4 PCIe GPU cards.
HPE and Biovista Collaboration – This collaboration will leverage HPE’s Compute capabilities and Biovista’s Big Data AI engine, Project Prodigy, to identify and validate new therapeutic options for personalized medicine, starting with the Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center located in IL.
“Today, customer’s HPC requirements go beyond superior performance and efficiency,” said Vikram K, Senior Director, Data Center and Hybrid Cloud, Hewlett Packard Enterprise India. “They are also increasingly considering security, agility and cost control. With today’s announcements, we are addressing these considerations and delivering optimized systems, infrastructure management and services capabilities that provide A New Compute Experience.”
A New Compute Experience for HPC and AI
HPE’s HPC systems are enhanced by a new compute experience designed to address the data intense needs of HPC and AI customers. The key elements of the HPC experience include:
- Enhanced firmware security – Designed to protect top secret, highly confidential information, HPE offers the industry’s first industry standard servers with firmware anchored into the silicon with the highest level of security, according to the Commercial National Security Algorithms.
- Increased agility with software defined HPC capabilities – The new HPE Performance Software Suite for HPC consists of the following elements:
- HPE Performance Software – Core Stack 2.2 – pre-built HPC solution that brings together open source, third party and HPE built components into a single integrated distribution.
- HPE Insight Cluster Management Utility 8.2 and New HPE SGI Management Suite 3.5 – comprehensive system management solutions offering enhanced provisioning, management and monitoring to simplify operations.
- HPE Performance Software – Message Passing Interface – libraries and optimization tools to enhance HPC application performance.
- Validated, optimized and integrated third party software solutions for workload management and application software development to enhance agility and productivity.
- New and Enhanced Services for HPC and AI – HPE Pointnext is introducing advisory, professional, and operational services that accelerate time to value for HPC and AI. HPE Flexible Capacity will extend to HPC and AI customers to manage unpredictable demand, raise utilization levels, and reduce total cost of ownership.
HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 System, HPE Apollo sx40, HPE Apollo pc40, HPE SGI 8600 System will be globally available via HPE and HPE channel partners in July 2017. HPE Pointnext services for these new HPC and AI solutions will be available later this year.