Today, Hongfa as a company in the relay sector sounds to take no new christened names. The company with a stalwart like R A Gotur has miraculously put a vantage ground to churn technology, design, implement and market newest technologies in this transmuting semiconductor space. Currently, the global demand for relays as a whole is being driven by the implementation of smart grids and multi-band wireless tech. Though reports seem to be just a sentient preface, as Niloy Banerjee | Consultant Editor | Bis Infotech roped R A Gotur, Director | Indian Operations | HONGFA GROUP – INDIA who gabs on the on-going market and technologies and how the relays sector is permuting to address the current demand. Edited Nub.
- What are the new trends which are shaping the Relays market specifically to Indian scenario?
Sugar Cube relay has the major share. Different application needs different relays capacities. Hongfa understands the needs well and introduced several different sugar cube relays meeting the needs of every customer. For example, several segments have “Normally open” relay application concept. But till the recent time, they keep using NO~NC type relays, which is higher in pricing. Hongfa introduced “Only NO” to meet the exact application need and as well proved to be cost-effective.
- Which key markets HONGFA is rendering and what new markets are in the exploratory zone of the company?
Hongfa, cater to all segments where relay has its application such as power, Signal, Industrial, Automotive, medical, automation etc. Hongfa, in the recent years, introduced relays suitable to Solar energy, Electric cars, Latching relays in Smart meter and prepaid meter segments.
- The Global Signal Relays Sales market is expected to grow at CAGR of nearly +8 % in the forecast period (2018-2025). What chunk of the market is HONGFA striving to engulf in this growing Signal Relays market?
Hongfa already has a strong presence and widely known brand in the Signal relay applications. The sales volume has gone up by 30% in comparison to previous years. It is not only the volume increase owing to demand but also increased market share. In the coming years, we expect to increase our share further by introducing innovative designs which is better priced and performance guaranteed.
- What are your key product offering strategies for India and how do you tailor the products for the cost-sensitive yet service driven Indian market?
Hongfa understands and stipulates to the respective need of Indian consumers’ according to their applications. Hongfa’s design experts visit India frequently to meet customers from time to time. They visit the customers, understand the needs and requirements and counsel knowledge-sharing to make it mutually fruitful. Though India market is price sensitive, it is volume driven, we look into quality and innovative solution first and depending on the volume the price is met. More precociously, this is the secret of Hongfa being the market leader mainly in India and globally.
- Demand and supply are pivotal to be a juggernaut in the respective market, Mr.Gotur you being on the leadership bench how do you manage to keep the balance?
At times, Hongfa does face lead time issues. The lead time issue is not only related to production at Hongfa side, it involves the timely availability of quality raw material. Hongfa being the quality conscious company, it never compromises at any point. Presently, to overcome Indian customers’ needs, Hongfa is focusing on preplanning, distribution stock support etc. Thanks to our customers, for giving us a fair forecast.
- Unlike the heat-dissipation in solid-state relays which seems to be the major glitch hybrid relay technology is hitting the shore? What new technologies HONGFA currently working on and key Relay technology you reckon to hit the market formidably?
Yes, presently solid state relays are associated with heat sink for heat dissipation. Hongfa is presently working on eliminating heat sink. Firstly, use high heat resistant raw material in the relay design, and in parallel, introduce new head dissipation technique in the relay itself, without heatsink support. If the effort becomes a success, it will be a milestone in solid state relay technology. Presently, we have stopped producing SSR relays.
- loT-Based monitoring relays are shaping up pretty vigorously? How is IoT, Automation (AI,M2M) and embedded software and hardware technologies transforming the manufacturing & designing of modern relay technology?
The need for protecting circuits and ensuring the safety of equipment in industries is expected to drive the growth of the global industrial relays market in the coming years. These new generation relays will provide the real-time condition of circuits and also alert the human machine interfaces (HMIs) in case of a problem in circuits.
The loT-based monitoring relays also aid in conducting preventive maintenance of the connected equipment and the circuit if required. The combination of real-time and historical data also helps in recognizing a pattern of faults that occur in circuits.
Prominent players like ABB, Eaton, GE, Rockwell Automation, Schneider Electric, Siemens and more others are in the development. Hongfa is also in the development of such future technology relays.
- How fruitful was the last Fiscal Year for Hongfa and what key announcements are expected from the company in this business calendar?
As usual, this year to Hongfa did well, not only in India but across the globe. The company is constantly splurging in R&D for bringing out the new design which is cost effective and flaunts longer life. There are some new design developments such as miniaturization, related to smart metering, LED lighting. The new design is expected to give technically better results in comparison to existing also pricing advantage. The products are under testing level and the results are awaited.
- The current NDA Govt. has a strong nudge towards digitalization. The Government has proposed many new initiatives to woo the tech corridors? What are your comments to it?
“Hats-off” to our Prime Minister and his team for their tireless effort in implementing digitalization across the country. Practically, it takes more time in India & I fully agree with the government policies and its initiative with a goal that ensures benefits of technology must reach to every common citizen. I as a responsible citizen of this nation, always and willingly contribute any possible assistance wherever possible.
- Lastly, Mr.Gotur, you being in the leadership role, what will be your mantra for the budding startup community and young innovators in the electronic industry?
In my dictionary, “Electronics means – the technology for Tomorrow” Miniaturization, Automation, real-time data and power saving are the key for better tomorrow. For me, IT not only means “Information Technology” but also “Innovation Technology”. Electronics and IT can together bring a better tomorrow for all. Technocrats across the world are working on new and improved technology. I strongly recommend new generation to participate and lead the present generation for a greener tomorrow.