The global automotive industry is about to enter a period of wide-ranging and transformative change and ADI is at the forefront of developing safer, smarter and greener solutions to increase the overall automotive experience. Daryl Wan, Business Development Director, Transportation Systems, Analog Devices in a very exquisite conversation with BISInfotech’s Sub-Editor, Jyoti Gazmer entails about ADI’s role in changing the scenario of the ever speeding automotive industry
- Tailored to present demand, what are the key offerings of ADI for the automotive industry?
Analog Devices is at the forefront of developing safer, smarter and greener solutions to increase the overall automotive experience. We have 4 major focus – EV/HEV powertrain, Cabin Electronics & Infotainment, MEMS Safety & Security & Autonomous Transportation & ADAS
In EV/HEV powertrain, we have the industry-leading battery monitoring (BMS) accuracy. Accurate measurements extend range, improve safety and reduces costs.
In Cabin Electronics & Infotainment, our Automotive Audio Bus (A2B) enables advanced audio and voice applications while saving weight and costs.
In MEMS Safety and Security, we offer crash sensors, security & chassis, and electronic stability control.
In Autonomous Transportation and ADAS, we have differentiated technologies like RADAR and LIDAR to address performance and reliability concerns. Additionally, we are focusing on high-performance Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) to deliver the required accuracy levels even in complex operating environments. Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) sensors integrate multi-axis combinations of precision gyroscopes, accelerometers, magnetometers, and pressure sensors.
- Recent innovations of ADI for connected automotive future?
Wireless BMS. To accommodate the large quantities of cells required for high powered automotive systems, batteries are often divided into packs and distributed throughout the vehicle. To support a distributed, modular topology within the high electromagnetic interference (EMI) environment of an EV/HEV, a robust communication system is required. In a wireless BMS system, each module is interconnected via a wireless connection instead of a CAN Bus cable or an isoSPI twisted pair.
Wireless BMS represents a significant breakthrough that offers the potential for improved reliability, lower cost, and reduced wiring complexity for large multicell battery stacks for electric and hybrid/electric vehicles.
- Recent innovation of ADI for Cabin Electronics and Infotainment?
Automotive Audio Bus (A2B) digital audio bus technology delivers high fidelity audio for automobiles while significantly reducing the weight of existing cable harnesses (by upwards of 75% in key applications) – resulting in improved vehicle fuel efficiency. A2B supports multiple microphone arrays in vehicles to enable different applications such as voice recognition, active noise cancellation, and in-car communications.
- Automobiles today face four key issues – Energy, Global Warming, Accidents, and Traffic Congestion. How ADI help its customers solve these issues.
Our capabilities in autonomous driving, cabin electronics, MEMS safety and security, EV and HEV powertrain, and highly efficient power management solutions help our customers design safer, greener and more comfortable automotive.
- Please detail us more on Drive360 Autonomous Driving Solutions by Analog Devices.
ADI is committed to the development of differentiated technologies to address performance, reliability and security critical to the future success of autonomous driving. The quality of ADI’s sensor data allows the AI to be better informed about the world around it and make the decisions well in advance of potential obstacles, helping to reduce the chances of autonomous vehicle accidents. In addition, ADI’s Drive360 navigation and perception solution – comprising RADAR, LIDAR and IMUs – functions as a safety shield around the vehicle, as these three sensing modalities are fused together, giving the vehicle its sense of sight and feeling.
The Drive360 suite of technologies leverage ADI’s core competencies in high-performance MEMS, RF/mmWave, and photonics/optics technologies.
These industry-leading high-performance products and solutions are playing a critical role in helping global car manufacturers and automotive electronics system manufacturers develop the next generation of autonomous driving.
- Analog Devices has recently inked a MoU with Baidu to jointly advance autonomous driving. Can you elaborate on the strategic partnership?
The collaboration is expected to enhance autonomous driving solutions for Project Apollo, Baidu’s autonomous driving system platform. The collaboration will focus on providing comprehensive, systematic and reliable solutions to address autonomous driving and intelligent connectivity critical to the future of smart traffic, including sensor fusion, algorithms and ecosystem partners
ADI and Baidu will share resources and technologies to further develop the sensing and navigation application for Project Apollo including RADAR, LIDAR, Inertial Measurement Units (IMU), A2B/C2B bus, and digital signal processing (DSP) products.
- What is driving the automotive market today and ADI’s Excellency in this sector?
The global automotive industry is about to enter a period of wide-ranging and transformative change where safety, energy efficiency, connectivity, and environmental regulations tighten. These demands dovetail well with our capabilities and expertise in autonomous driving, cabin electronics, MEMS safety and security, EV and HEV powertrain, and highly efficient power management solutions.
8. Hybrid/electric vehicle (HEV) or an electric vehicle (EV) battery pack is inevitable. When building a large battery pack, both battery monitoring and battery balancing is required to maintain high battery capacity for the lifetime of the battery pack. How does ADI’s addresses through its BMS expertise?
We address the challenges with the following.
- We have the industry-leading battery monitoring (BMS) accuracy. Accurate measurements extend range, improve safety and reduces costs. The high voltage and high-performance battery stack is demanding on both voltage and current measurement accuracy. We use the zener voltage reference technology as they have proven to be far superior in mitigating real-world effects over time due to lower sensitivity to silicon stress. This Zener reference is a technology ADI has perfected over the past 30 years.
- We have developed the isoSPI, a simple, inexpensive, robust and isolated 2-wire data interface, to connect a large number of battery packs. With high voltage applications, data communications must be isolated so robustness of the communication link is a great concern.
- Passive or Active cell balancing. Each cell must be balanced with minimum impact to cost and measurement accuracy.
- Safety is of paramount importance. Nothing else matters.
9. From your perspective, how has the automotive electronics industry evolved over the past decade, and what major changes have you witnessed?
It is an inevitable trend that we are moving away from vehicles that are stand-alone, mechanically controlled and fossil-fueled to ones that will be interconnected, electrified and fueled by a range of sustainable energy sources. This gives us the excellent opportunity to make cars more capable, more sustainable and more exciting by leveraging and capitalizing on our capabilities, expertise and track record in the automotive segment.
The electrification of the automotive is being enabled by a breakthrough in battery technologies. Electrification is also at the root of many advances in vehicle safety. By integrating cameras, radars, and sensors, ADI helps minimize the number of automotive fatalities, reduce the impact on the environment and make driving much more fun and enjoyable again.
10. Lastly, any key announcements which are expected to broaden up the Automotive focus of ADI?
Not at the moment.