Infineon’s MEMS microphones and Radar ICs are empowering the next workforce to go touchless post-COVID-19. Diligently focusing on back-to-work model for businesses; Deepak Bachu, Manager Business Development & Sales, Power & Sensor Systems, Infineon Technologies India talks to Niloy from BIS underlining on Infineon’s newer technologies to help go touchless and implement social distancing norms in their respective businesses. Edited Nub Below.
- Infineon’s offering and expertise as businesses are opting for more touchless technologies?
Infineon’s XENSIV™ sensor family was developed to meet today’s sensing challenges in automotive, industrial and consumer applications. Building on the company’s in-depth system understanding, it is the broadest portfolio of sensor types on the market, giving customers the widest selection of ready-to-use solutions offering fast time-to-market. In the current pandemic situation, where businesses are scouting for solutions to go touchless and to implement social distancing norms, Infineon’s smart sensors including Silicon Microphone and Radar ICs can play a vital role.
- Can you elaborate about the technical and technological know-how of Infineon’s smart sensors?
High-performance MEMS microphones from Infineon can be used to add a voice user interface to virtually any application in order to go touchless and most intuitive. A few examples are building automation, ticketing kiosks, vending machines, banking terminals etc. The microphones are designed for applications where low self-noise (high SNR), wide dynamic range, low distortions and a high acoustic overload point are required.
On the other hand, Radar ICs based on 24 GHz and 60 GHz frequency bands, can be employed for numerous use cases ranging from simple motion and presence detection to vital sensing (heart/breath rate) and human-machine interfaces via gestures. Presence detection through radar furthermore allows personal data security. The radar can see that there is a person, it doesn’t detect who it is.
- Infineon has major expertise in radar ICs, hence how it can be used as a tool for back-to-work model for businesses?
Infineon XensivTM Radar solutions bring presence detection and automation to the workplace, meaning actions that historically require a “hands-on” physical touch be upgraded to operate without the physical touch. In addition, we have developed a solution “Smart Entrance Counter Solution” which supports social distancing and crowd management requirements in the work place.
- How Infineon is empowering the post-COVID-19 workplaces, types of application and User Scenarios?
Infineon is working on various use cases internally and together with partners to work on demonstrators and solutions which can be implemented by businesses for post-COVID-19 workplaces. Here are some of the use cases which would find their applications in various industries incl. manufacturing plants, IT workspaces, hospitality etc.
- Entrance/exit counter: counts the number of people entering and exiting certain premises for crowd management
- Smart lighting: eliminates manual switching on/off of lights using motion and presence detection
- Health monitoring: contactless health monitors that capture cardiac-respiratory vital signs
- Any end-solution manufacturers and companies Infineon is working with to spur touchless technologies?
We rely on the competence and expertise of partners who work with us to create added value for our mutual customers.
Partners from the Infineon Ecosystem have been selected based on their proven competence and ability to design and deliver strong and trustworthy solutions, especially for new technologies and application fields. Their knowledge and experiences are diverse in the areas of Hardware, Software, Tools, Services and End-Applications.
With the help of our Ecosystem Partners, customers are able to accelerate their development efforts and expedite time to market.
More information @ https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/partner-network/
- Which segments you reckon will be the early adopters of these solutions?
Due to the unprecedented nature of current situation, we are in the process of continuous monitoring and evaluation of the various markets we address, to identify the most likely use cases and applications with the potential of quick adoption.
- Infineon’s technical support, partner ecosystem & design-in support for the aforementioned solutions?
At Infineon, we have a strong regional and global technical support team to address the needs of our customers. In addition, we also have channel partners for a wider penetration into the market.
For a quick and easy evaluation of our products, we have an extensive offering of evaluation and demo kits with plug and play functionality. All relevant information can be downloaded using the collaboration platform on our website.
- Lastly, being a semiconductor giant how do you think technology and next-gen electronics can help workplaces safe, secure and healthy?
Infineon Technologies AG is a world leader in semiconductor solutions with a mission to make life easier, safer and greener. Microelectronics from Infineon is the key to a better future with technology that achieves more, consumes less and is accessible to everyone. XENSIV™ sensors are designed to “smartify” lives by enabling “things” to “see”, “hear”, “feel” and “understand” their environment.