Littelfuse has launched an expanded reed relay product portfolio that extends voltage capabilities to include AC ratings, supports AC or DC loads up to 300 Vdc, and provides input/output isolation voltage 2500 VRMS.
These miniature reed relays are available in single In-line (SIL) and dual-in-line (DIL) packages.
“The expansion of the Littelfuse reed relay portfolio is a reflection of our commitment to meeting our customers’ needs through technology and product development,” said Boris Golubovic, Vice President, Marketing and Strategy at Littelfuse. “Reed relays are uniquely suited for a wide range of applications, including process automation, and rapidly growing building technologies segment.”
Typical applications for the reed relays include position and speed sensing in a broad array of markets:
- Security systems
- Fire and safety
- Automatic test equipment (ATE)
- Process control systems
The new reed relays offer these key benefits:
- Capable of switching speeds up to 1 kHz and billions of operations.
- Hermetically sealed switch contacts are unaffected by and do not affect their external environment.
- Lower power coil consumption than competing electromechanical devices.
- Very low circuit board space requirement due to miniature DIL and SIL packages.
- No leakage in the off state, making them an ideal choice for battery-powered devices.
A reed relay combines a reed switch with a coil into one package to serve as a smaller, more power-efficient alternative to other types of relays. In comparison to solid-state relays (SSRs), reed relays provide no leakage current and higher robustness against transient spikes.
Reed relays also have a much longer life, smaller size, higher switching speeds, and lower power consumption than electromechanical relay switches.
Reed relays are used for switching of loads with up to 2500 V isolation between the low-voltage control signal and load circuit.
Reed relays come in a hermitically sealed miniature package and offer full galvanic (zero leakage current) load disconnect that provides the high reliability needed in harsh environment applications to switch AC/DC signals and loads.