With the growing demand of wearable health and fitness applications, ready to market design has become crucial. Engineered to eliminate design time up to six months – Maxim Integrated Products’ new ultra-small hSensor Platform empowers designers of health, wellness, and high-end fitness applications with quick and easy validation of next-gen solutions.
To jump-start on design and do quick prototyping; Maxim’s hSensor Platform integrates all the hardware building blocks together on one PCB with ARM mbed hardware development kit (HDK) saving time up to six months.
The hSensor Platform, offered as the MAXREFDES100# reference design, includes a hSensor board, complete firmware with drivers, a debugger board, and a graphical user interface (GUI).
Giving access to firmware source code on Maxim’s website, the platform allows designers to load algorithms for different use cases and adapt to their specific applications. Customers can download the firmware to optimize designs, enable faster evaluations, and significantly reduce time to market.
The hSensor Platform includes the following products:
- MAX30003: Ultra-low power, single-channel integrated biopotential AFE
- MAX30101: High-sensitivity pulse oximeter and heart-rate sensor
- MAX30205: Industry’s only clinical grade temperature sensor
- MAX32620: Ultra-low power ARM Cortex-M4F microcontroller optimized for wearables
- MAX14720: Industry’s lowest quiescent current power management integrated circuit (PMIC)
- Additional content: Inertial sensors (3-axis accelerometer, 6-axis accelerometer/gyroscope), barometric pressure sensor, flash memory, and BLE radio
- Quickly validate your concept: Fully working hardware and firmware cuts design time by up to six months
- Fast time to market: Build on top of existing hardware and firmware to quickly wrap up your hardware design
- ARM mbed support: For efficient evaluation and rapid application prototyping, the mbed environment provides a high level of abstraction to eliminate maintenance of software tools and provide an extensive library of open source software
- Complete solution: Compact, ultra-small solution (25.4mm x 30.5mm) provides all you need in one place without having to access multiple sources; runs on coin cell; allows data to be monitored over Bluetooth low energy, stored in flash, or streamed via USB
Key Applications Include:
The hSensor Platform is claimed to be the only complete development platform available today and is ideal for health, wellness, and high-end fitness applications such as chest straps, ECG patches, wrist-worn devices, thermometers, disposable temperature patches, blood oxygen measurement, smart weigh scales, and bio authentication. For example, one can design a wearable patch to continuously record ECG on a single CR2032 battery for twice as long compared to today’s existing solutions—a power savings of more than 50%.
Citing on the new rollout, Andrew Baker, Executive Director for Industrial and Healthcare Products at Maxim Integrated, said, “Maxim is committed to the wearables market, and the hSensor Platform is a testament to this commitment. As we continue to develop solutions for new applications, we will expand the platform to support specific use cases.”
Asserting on the benefits of the new solution, Matt Banet, Chief Scientific Officer at toSense, said, “With Maxim’s hSensor Platform, we’ve taken a very complex measurement process and made it simple and streamlined. It offers an easy-to-use development kit which we have successfully implemented into our own hardware platform.”
“This new platform from Maxim will save designers from the tedious process of creating a custom board from scratch,” said Susie Inouye, Research Director at Databeans. “Enabling technology such as this is also key for driving costs down which will engage more consumers, particularly in the fitness application market where price point is still hindering demand.”
Availability and Pricing for MAXREFDES100#
- The MAXREFDES100# reference design is available for $150 at Maxim Storefront (https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/storefront.html) and select franchised distributors. Hardware and firmware files are provided free and available online.
- For info on other reference designs: http://bit.ly/ReferenceDesigns.
Further info on MAXREFDES100#: http://bit.ly/Maxim_hSensor_Platform