Maxim Integrated Products unveils the new MAX14913 octal high-side switch and driver for designers of industrial controllers can safely drive and demagnetize any inductive load for Industry 4.0 applications.
Armed with a unique, innovative, safe-demagnetizing clamp on each output, the new devices are tout to easily and reliably interface low-voltage digital signals to 24V output-control lines.
For most industrial applications, engineers need a high-side switch to control inductive loads. The challenge is how to discharge the energy in the inductor when the switch opens and current flow stops. If the inductance and the resulting stored energy are high, a driver IC could be permanently damaged due to the generated heat.
Using its safe-demagnetization feature, the MAX14913 can discharge and demagnetize any inductive load safely via its integrated clamps. For a more robust solution, it provides open-wire and short-circuit diagnostics, the most-common external failure mode.
Compared to its predecessor, the MAX14913 achieves 15x space savings by eliminating 16 diodes from its previous solution. In addition, it has eight 640mA high-side switches that can also be configured as push-pull drivers for high-speed switching.
- System speed: Ultra-high speed switching up to 200 kHz improves system speed by >15×; Handles 24-V (nominal)/36-V (max) loads at up to 0.5 A with minimum delay.
- Robust: Safely drives and demagnetizes any inductive load with integrated safe-demagnetization clamps on outputs; each output is also protected against 1-kV of surge.
- Small footprint: Industry’s smallest octal high-side driver reduces board space by 40% compared to other solutions on the market; enables compact high-density I/O modules.
- Diagnostic capabilities: Reduces downtime through multiple diagnostic capabilities; simplifies plant troubleshooting.
Citing on the new rollout, Tony Partow, Executive Business Manager for Maxim’s Industrial and Healthcare Business Unit, said, “The MAX14913 is the world’s first and only octal high-side switch with integrated fast and safe- demagnetization clamps capable of discharging and demagnetizing any inductive load.”
Applications include programmable logic controllers (PLCs), motion control units, drives, and other industrial and process automation applications.
Availability and Pricing
- Available in a 56-pin QFN package (8mm × 8mm × 0.8mm)
- Specified over the -40-degree Celsius to +125-degree Celsius temperature range
- Pricing starts at $6.95 (1000-up, FOB USA)
- An evaluation kit is available: MAX14913EVKIT
Further info on Maxim’s digital IO solutions: Maxim Digital IO Solutions.
One can get a live experience of Maxim Products at electronica in Munich, Germany from November 8-11, 2016 in Hall A4, Stand 279.