Industry 4.0 designers’ faces constant challenge to keep a manufacturing line running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Maxim Integrated Products new Pocket IO programmable logic controller (PLC) development platform is develop to address the challenges and increase manufacturing productivity. The new platform touts to provide customers with the ability to achieve the smallest form factor and highest power efficiency for next-generation PLC designs.
Today, factory operators need real-time intelligent data insights at fingertips to be informed and improve uptime, revenue, and gross margins. Thereby, to capture real-time data, PLCs require fan-less operation due to harsh industrial environments bringing the need of highly efficient power solutions to minimize heat dissipation.
Maxim’s new Pocket IO PLC development platform provide real-time intelligence for quick and effective decisions and adaptive manufacturing and avoid potential downtime, and distributed control to provide redundancy.
The Pocket IO provides the following key advantages to increase productivity:
- Real-time intelligence: Fast data processing provides the necessary data to make intelligent decisions quickly and effectively to optimize yield.
- Adaptive manufacturing: Manufacturing flexibility allows for real-time changes and adjustments to avoid potential downtime.
- Distributed control: Ultra-small footprint of less than 10 cubic inches and smart energy consumption brings PLC down to the manufacturing line, re-distributing intelligent control and providing redundancy.
Compared to Micro PLC Platform from two years ago, the Pocket IO is learn to decrease form factor by an additional 2.5x and reduces power consumption by another 30%.
Utilizing patent-pending, fast, and safe demagnetization clamps integrated within the MAX14913 octal high-side switch and driver, it achieves 15x space savings by eliminating 16 diodes from its previous solution.
In addition, the MAX17681 iso-buck DC-DC converter provides greater than 90% power efficiency when compared to its predecessor—a reduction of power dissipation of over 30%.
The MAX31913 octal, digital input translator/serializer can be powered off of any available 5V supply while still accepting input signals up to 36V, eliminating all protection components needed on the 24V supply pin and thus reducing total footprint by 50%.
Citing on the new rollout, Jeff DeAngelis, Managing Director of Business Management at Maxim Integrated, said, “We leveraged Maxim’s strong IP portfolio and long history specializing in analog integration to create this new pathway to Industry 4.0. The Pocket IO is a development platform for designers and it demonstrates our complete industrial communications and power capabilities, including our robust IO-Link smart sensor technology.”
“Industry 4.0 is no longer a ‘future trend’–for many companies it is now at the heart of their strategic and research agenda,” said Price Waterhouse Coopers (PwC) in a recent report. “In fact, 35% of companies adopting Industry 4.0 expect revenue gains over 20% over the next five years.”
Pricing and Availability
- The MAXREFDES150# Pocket IO PLC reference design is $499, which includes the attach board, IO-link protocol stack, cables, and power supply. The schematics, layout files, and firmware are free and available for immediate use.
- The Pocket IO consists of 30 IOs, including analog input, analog output, digital input, digital output, IO-link, and motion control featuring robust functionality and diagnostic capabilities. For a list of key products within the Pocket IO, visit http://bit.ly/Maxim_Pocket_IO_Key_Products.
- For information on other reference designs, visit http://bit.ly/ReferenceDesigns.
Further info about the Pocket IO, visit http://bit.ly/Maxim_Pocket_IO
To get a hand-on experience, one can visit Maxim, at electronica 2016 Munich, Germany from November 8-11, 2016 in Hall A4, Stand 279 or visit http://bit.ly/Maxim_electronica_2016.