MediaTek has unveiled the Dimensity 5G Open Resource Architecture that provides brands with more flexibility to customize key 5G mobile device features to address different market segments.
The open resource architecture gives smartphone brands closer-to-metal access to customize features for cameras, displays, graphics, artificial intelligence (AI) processing units (APUs), sensors and connectivity sub-systems within the Dimensity 1200 chipset.
“MediaTek is collaborating with the world’s largest smartphone brands to unlock customized consumer experiences that differentiate flagship 5G smartphones,” said Yenchi Lee, Deputy General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit. “Whether its novel multimedia features, unmatched performance, brilliant imaging or more synergy between smartphones and services, with our architecture device makers can tailor their devices to complement a variety of consumer lifestyles.”
Key ways that brands can customize the Dimensity 5G Open Resource Architecture include:
- Multimedia Experiences: With access to the in-chip, multi-core AI and display processors, brands can tailor multimedia experiences and unlock more synergy between the chipset and the smartphone’s display and audio hardware.
- Hybrid Multiprocessing: The open resource architecture gives brands the freedom to fine-tune a device’s performance and power efficiency through workload assignments customization across the chipset’s processing resources.
- AI Processing: Using the foundation of MediaTek’s NeuroPilot, brands have better access to MediaTek’s deep learning accelerator (DLA) within the MediaTek APU. This allows brands to apply customizations to the multi-threaded scheduler and customized algorithms.
- Camera Processing Engines: For both image and video capturing, brands are given raw access to the camera image signal processor (ISP) to directly control the data flow that immediately follows once content is captured. MediaTek’s Dimensity 5G Open Resource Architecture gives brands access to the Dimensity 1200 chipset’s low-level camera hardware engines to optimize the configurations to suit their chosen parameters, camera sensors and software setups.
- Connectivity: To create a well-rounded customer experience, brands will be able to sync the latest Bluetooth features with profiles to match their wireless accessories, such as headsets or gaming peripherals.