Micro Focus has introduced Visual COBOL 7.0 and Enterprise Suite 7.0, providing flexible application, process and infrastructure modernization solutions for COBOL and mainframe systems.
“This latest release reinforces our commitment to our customers by delivering proven, robust solutions that protect their investments and enables them to meet the changing business expectations while taking advantage of new environments and infrastructures,” said Neil Fowler, General Manager of Application Modernization and Connectivity at Micro Focus. “Through the integration of application security with Micro Focus Fortify, the expansion of deployment options and the addition of new development tools for delivering contemporary mainframe-based systems, these Micro Focus solutions give developers new ways to work with long-standing enterprise applications while delivering on a modernization strategy.”
“When we rolled out the re-platformed application with Micro Focus Visual COBOL, we saw an overall performance boost of more than 20 percent,” said Chuck Wainscott, Director of Architecture, FIS asset management group. “Not only are our processes running faster, but we can scale out and run more concurrent processes.”
Micro Focus’ customer success and continued evolution in Visual COBOL and Enterprise Suite 7.0 are centered on the following:
- Protect the investment customers have already made in their core business systems by allowing them to continue running with the same integrity, quality and performance while also providing the flexibility to deploy these systems onto new platforms and take advantage of new technologies.
- New in 7.0: IDE access to Visual Studio Code for COBOL development provides agile modern development tooling focused on delivering application change faster while also attracting new developers to maintain these core business systems.
- Extend and continually modernize applications by identifying the business processes that can be automatically extracted using code slicing technologies, as well as repurposing business functions by exposure through REST APIs or delivery as microservices deployed onto distributed, mainframe, container or Cloud platforms.
- New in 7.0: A recently published resource enabling COBOL application modernization with Java and Cloud technologies, entitled: “Visual COBOL” New application modernization tools for Java Developers”
- New in 7.0: Integration with Micro Focus Fortify to give developers and application security professionals the ability to quickly scan code for vulnerabilities and provide unique support for the COBOL language across both Micro Focus COBOL and mainframe-based applications.
- Enable a move of mainframe COBOL and PL/I applications to the cloud with compatibility that ensures minimal change and reduced risk while preserving core business functionality.
- New in 7.0: Mainframe data can be hosted on Oracle (including catalog, VSAM and spool files) with extended support for highly available and shared data when scaling out to cloud platforms.
- New in 7.0: Security enhancements to the Enterprise Server internal password Vault system to support the use of Hashicorp plus improved security and usability of Data File Editor when managing production data files.