PIC18F “K42” family features highest integration of Core Independent Peripherals with DMA and vectored interrupts for improved system performance with less code
Microchip Technology announces availability of the PIC18F “K42” family – combines an extensive array of Core Independent Peripherals (CIPs), high-resolution analog, on-chip Direct Memory Access (DMA) and vectored interrupts for fast processing.
The Key Features Include:
- The DMA controller enables data transfers between memory space and peripherals without Core Processing Unit (CPU) involvement improving system performance and lowering power consumption.
- When interrupts are required, vectored interrupts provide faster response times with fixed latency reducing software overhead.
- Code development is also simplified with the user-friendly MPLAB Code Configurator, making the PIC18F “K42” family well suited for an extensive range of applications and markets, including touch sensing, automotive, industrial control, Internet of Things (IoT), medical and white goods.
The PIC18F “K42” Family Features:
- The largest total memory of any 8-bit PIC MCU with up to 128KB Flash and 8KB RAM.
- CIPs simplify the implementation of common system functions like sensor interface, signal generation, power conversion, motor control, safety management and system communications.
- The PIC18F “K42” features a 12-bit ADC with computation which automates analog signal analysis for real-time system response.
- The MCUs also include Configurable Logic Cells, low power modes (IDLE, DOZE and Peripheral Module Disable) to reduce power consumption and improved serial communications including UART with support for asynchronous systems, DMX, DALI and LIN protocols along with higher-speed, standalone I2C and SPI.
“The latest PIC18F ‘K42’ family is an important expansion to the PIC 8-bit family,” said Steve Drehobl, vice president of Microchip’s 8-bit MCU division. “This latest family allows customers in every market space to do more with system functions performed in hardware requiring less application code and high-resolution intelligent analog for signal conditioning.”
The family will be supported by Microchip Technology’s development ecosystem including the Curiosity platform and MPLAB Code Configurator (MCC), a free software plug-in that provides a graphical interface to configure peripherals and functions specific to your application. MCC is part of Microchip’s free downloadable and award-winning MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
The 10 products in the PIC18F “K42” family are all available for sampling and volume production in a variety of package options.
Curiosity Development Boards are cost-effective, fully integrated MCU development platforms targeted at first-time users, makers, and those seeking a feature-rich rapid prototyping board. Designed from the ground-up to take full advantage of Microchip Technology’s MPLAB X and MPLAB Xpress development environments, the Curiosity platform includes an integrated programmer/debugger, and requires no additional hardware to get started. Curiosity HPC (High Pin Count, Part Number: DM164136) supports the PIC18F “K42” family.