Qualcomm Technologies at Augmented World Expo (AWE), has celebrated the milestone of partnering with global operators, smartphone OEMs and XR viewer manufacturers to deliver XR viewers to consumers and enterprises within the next year.
Since Qualcomm Technologies’ device category introduction of XR viewers tethered to 5G smartphones, fifteen global operators including China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, Deutsche Telekom, EE, KDDI, KT, LG Uplus, NTT DOCOMO, Orange, SK Telecom, SoftBank, Telefonica, Verizon and Vodafone have shared plans to sample and commercialize XR viewers to provide immersive, never-before-experiences over 5G.
Through the Qualcomm XR Optimized Certification Program, Qualcomm Technologies tests the performance and validates compatibility between the XR viewer and smartphones to help ensure a seamless user experience. There are two certifications, one for smartphone and one for the XR viewer to allow the OEMs (both smartphone and viewers) to verify optimization between multiple phones and multiple viewers without requiring them to conduct one-on-one optimization. The Qualcomm XR Optimized Certification Program includes:
- Six Degrees of Freedom (6DoF) headtracking performance on the viewer and smartphone
- Display calibration validation on the viewer
- Motion to photon latency validation on the viewer and smartphone
- Power and thermal test on the viewer and smartphone
- Interoperability between the viewer and smartphone