Qualcomm’s Oculus Quest 2 Launched Commercially
Qualcomm Technologies has commercially launched its Oculus Quest 2, the first-to-launch VR device powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 Platform.
Oculus Quest 2 is a culmination of years of collaboration between Qualcomm Technologies and Facebook to create the most advanced and immersive gaming VR experiences for consumers to-date.
“We built the Snapdragon XR2 Platform from the ground up and designed it to push the boundaries of what is possible in XR and enable our customers to create a new generation of experiences and devices,” said Hugo Swart, VP and head of XR, Qualcomm Technologies.“Qualcomm Technologies’ worked closely with the team at Facebook to enhance and tailor the Snapdragon XR2 feature-set in Oculus Quest 2 and today marks an incredible milestone in VR. We look forward to our continued collaboration with Facebook to offer the best possible, all-in-one VR experiences to the mass consumer.”
“For Facebook, this collaboration represents our commitment to accelerating the VR industry,” said Rafael Camargo, VP of Hardware for Facebook Reality Labs. “We won’t just wait for the key technologies that power next-gen VR experiences to develop over time. We want to be part of defining the future and helping it to move faster, and we’re proud to be doing this hand-in-hand with our innovative partners at Qualcomm Technologies.”
The Snapdragon XR2 Platform delivers significant performance enhancements in Oculus Quest 2 including:
- Powering the highest resolution display yet in any Oculus headset, with 50% more pixels than the original Oculus Quest headset.
- Delivering more than 11x the AI processing than its predecessor, the Snapdragon XR2 Platform allows more perception algorithms to work concurrently with the many other tasks, resulting in more immersive experiences for the end-user.
- Incorporating the Engine for Visual Analytics (EVA) computer vision dedicated processor which helps to offload key VR-related tasks for tracking to enable low latency and reduce overall power consumption.
- Cutting-edge heterogeneous compute architecture that is designed to help preserve Oculus Quest 2 battery life of 2-3 hours of playtime meaning users can have even better VR experiences on the same charge.
- Premium WI-Fi 6 performance of the Qualcomm FastConnect 6800 connectivity system that enables Oculus Quest 2 to achieve truly wireless VR with faster download speeds.