The MAX25610A and MAX25610B LED drivers from Maxim Integrated Products enables designers of high-performance automotive lighting applications now have a simpler, more efficient method for driving high-brightness LEDs (HBLEDs).
The synchronous buck, buck-boost LED drivers/DC-DC converters offer a complete solution that features industry-leading EMI performance, without compromising on efficiency and size. These ICs drive up to eight HBLEDs directly from the automotive battery and integrate many external components to save on bill of materials (BOM) costs and space, making them excellent solutions for automotive lighting systems as well as industrial and commercial lighting applications.
As the automotive industry accelerates its transition to all-LED lighting, designers face new challenges in improving efficiency, simplifying designs and reducing system costs, while passing strict EMI requirements.
The MAX25610A/B LED drivers addresses all these concerns by combining solution size, high efficiency and EMI performance into a single package. These ICs meet the wide range of voltage requirements and can decrease design complexity, lower bill-of-material (BOM) costs and improve power efficiency. They offer a wide input voltage range from 5V to 36V in buck-boost LED driver applications with up to 90 percent efficiency in buck-boost mode. These LED drivers have an internal current sense option and integrated high- and low-side switching MOSFETs to reduce solution space and cost. They offer programmable on-chip PWM dimming, which allows for fine dimming control without having to use a separate microcontroller. Additionally, the MAX25610B features a 2.2MHz switching frequency option allowing for an even more compact solution.
The Key Benefits of the MAX25610A/B
- High Efficiency: Delivers up to 90 percent efficiency compared to a standard buck-boost LED driver, which provides ~85 percent efficiency
- Industry-Leading EMI Performance: Enables designers to pass CISPR 25 EMI specification
- Small Size: Integrates two MOSFETs (high- and low-side switching) and is available in a 5mm x 5mm TQFN
- Flexibility: Enables configuration of buck, buck-boost and boost modes to support a wide variety of LEDs and topologies in high-performance exterior and front lighting
Maxim now also offers the MAX25600, a 60V, synchronous, high-voltage, four-switch buck-boost LED controller that shifts seamlessly between buck, buck-boost and boost modes. This IC is ideal for driving changing LED loads in high-power automotive, commercial and industrial lighting applications.
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX25610A/B is available at Maxim’s website for $2.10 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
- The MAX25600 is available at Maxim’s website for $95 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
- The MAX25610EVKIT# evaluation it is available for $100.
- The MAX25600EVKIT# evaluation kit is available for $150.