Microchip Technology announces the next-gen dual-mode Bluetooth audio products. The IS206X family is claimed to be built on company’s affluent IS202X portfolio of highly integrated system-on-a-chip (SoC) devices and modules by introducing Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) capability.
Tailored for speakers, headsets and gaming headphones, this flash-based platform is touted to offer ample flexibility and powerful design features, allowing audio manufacturers to easily incorporate wireless connectivity in streaming music and voice command applications.
Other key Nuggets include
- A high-performance 32-bit digital signal processing (DSP) core provides the framework to develop sophisticated algorithms for advanced audio and voice processing.
- The 24-bit digital audio support delivers high resolution audio to consumers for a richer listening experience.
- Applications such as professional headsets benefit from high definition voice, achieved with a robust implementation of 16 kHz wideband voice with noise suppression and echo cancellation. The added firmware update capability allows for product software and configuration features enhancements over time.
- Qualified for Bluetooth v4.2, the IS206X family supports Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) links and the standard audio profiles.
- The powerful combination of BLE and Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) enables smartphone-to-speaker communication via a mobile app.
- Customised apps enrich the consumer’s experience by providing creative control features such as pairing, remote control and real-time audio effect adjustments.
“In addition to expecting high-quality sound, consumers are increasingly demanding a rich user experience that streamlines their communication and interaction with their audio equipment. Our IS206x family is designed to combine the convenience of wireless, portable speakers with simplistic interface to easily connect and control multiple end devices,” said Steve Caldwell, vice president of Microchip’s Wireless Solutions Group.
The IS206X family is available in several offerings, allowing customers to tailor their wireless needs. For designs that require a turn-key solution for fast time-to-market, customers can take advantage of the chip’s powerful features by choosing a module configuration with either a Class 1 or a Class 2 device.
All modules are fully certified with the following regulatory bodies: United States (FCC) and Canada (IC), European Economic Area (CE), Korea (KCC), Taiwan (NCC) and Japan (MIC).
The following devices are available in volume production in 10,000 unit quantities:
- IS2062GM, 7×7 LGA package
- IS2063GM, 8×8 LGA package
- IS2064GM, 8×8 LGA package
- BM62SPKA1MC2-0001AA, an unshielded, Class 2 module
- BM62SPKS1MC2-0001AA, a shielded, Class 2 module
- BM63SPKA1MGA-0001AC, an unshielded, Class 2 module
- BM64SPKA1MC2-0001AA, an unshielded, Class 2 module
- BM64SPKS1MC2-0001AA, a shielded, Class 2 module
- BM64SPKA1MC1-0001AA, an unshielded, Class 1 module
- BM64SPKS1MC1-0001AA, a shielded, Class 1 module