Microchip Technology announces to add an enhanced version of the peripheral touch controller (PTC) to their most lately announced microcontrollers, including the ATtiny817/816/814.
The latest PTC is a small and cost-effective core independent peripheral (CIP) that touts to enable high performance capacitive touch on standard microcontrollers.
Key Features Include:
- Featuring superior water tolerance the PTC is configured through the START code configurator for ease-of-use.
- CIPs are designed to handle their task with no code or supervision from the CPU to maintain operation. As a CIP, the peripheral touch controller simplifies the implementation of touch sensing and thus gives designers the flexibility to focus on the rest of the application.
- Touch solutions using the PTC combine advanced noise handling, water tolerant touch and low power wake-on-touch operation.
- An IEC 61000-4-6 conducted immunity rating of 15Vrms makes it easy for customers to pass the strictest EMC standards especially in the home appliance and automotive markets.
- Water tolerant touch enables outdoor usage and enhances user experience.
- In addition, it is able to use less power with advanced sleep and wake-up functionality, making it ideal for wearable and other battery powered applications.
The software support provided by Microchip’s ecosystem further adds to the ease-of-use. The ATtiny817 is the first in a line to be supported by the web based tool chain START code configurator and the code compact QTouch Modular Library of firmware. As a web based tool, START will enable its users to always benefit from the latest state-of-the-art touch libraries.
“Microchip continues to be a leader in touch technology,” said Fanie Duvenhage, vice president of Microchip’s Touch Sensing Group. “In the creation of this newest peripheral touch controller, we wanted to push the boundaries on water resistance and noise immunity while keeping implementation easy for designers. What resulted was a top of line CIP that was an excellent addition to the ATtiny817/816/814 and will be an excellent addition to many MCUs in the future.”