Sensata Technologies’ power disconnect solution has been chosen by several leading charging infrastructure OEMs to enable faster and safer DC fast charging.
Sensata’s unique solution combines contactors and GigaFuses from its leading Gigavac product brand to provide customers with a value-added contactor module, simplifying their installations while delivering safer and more effective system protection compared to the traditional contractor and thermal fuse pairings.
Nick Moelders, Vice President, Electrification at Sensata Technologies explains, “Our recent wins with major Charging Infrastructure OEMs demonstrate the added value we provide to our customers as we move from being a component supplier to a leading electrification solutions provider. Working engineer-to-engineer with the most innovative companies allows us to learn and adapt to the needs of the rapidly transforming clean energy market.”
To compete with traditional internal combustion engines, EVs need faster charging times, so EV Charging Systems are quickly migrating from 400V to 1,000V and from 50kW to up to 350kW to shorten charging times to less than 20 minutes. While higher voltage and current levels reduce charging times, they increase the safety risks and design challenges for the systems.
To address these challenges, DC fast charging infrastructure OEMs are seeking safer, higher-performing and more comprehensive solutions that improve on the traditional contactor and thermal fuse pairing.
Sensata’s GigaFuse offers several advantages compared to a conventional DC thermal fuse, including the ability to:
- Open a circuit within 3 mS; faster than a conventional DC thermal fuse
- Open a circuit closer to normal operating conditions without nuisance tripping, resulting in a less potential risk of damage
- Pair more easily with the contactor because of its unique electro-mechanical triggering mechanism
- Help prevent overloading, improving the performance of the contactor in the circuit
- Reduce thermal resistance; typically, 0.15 mohm
- Eliminate thermal aging due to low heat generation
Sensata’s packaged power disconnect module includes high voltage contactors and GigaFuses that are harnessed to a mounting plate. The solution delivers overcurrent and short circuit protection and provides the following benefits for the whole charging system:
- Increases safety/reduces the risk of damage
- Increases thermal performance/system efficiency
- Provides fast and reliable circuit protection