Mouser Electronics announces that it’s now stocking the WGM110 Wizard Gecko Wi-Fi module from Silicon Labs. Engineered as an all-inclusive, plug-and-play 802.11b/g/n-compliant Wi‑Fi Module, the WGM110 is claimed to deliver exceptional radio frequency (RF) performance, a best-in-class module size, easy application development, and fast time to market.
Optimized for robust Wi-Fi connectivity without requiring an external microcontroller, complex networking infrastructure, or dedicated hubs, the WGM110 is known to be the perfect pre-certified solution for adding Wi-Fi to a variety of Internet of Things (IoT) applications while reducing R&D risk and overall design costs.
Exclusive at Mouser Electronics, the Silicon Labs WGM110 Wi-Fi module leverage as a Wi-Fi client or a Wi-Fi access point, making device provisioning as easy as surfing the web.
The module features:
- High-performance 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11 b/g/n transceiver, an embedded Wi-Fi stack, an HTTP server, and multiple internet protocols including TCP and UDP with TLS security.
- The module achieves a receiver (RX) sensitivity of -98 dBM and a transmit (TX) power of +16 dBm.
- Altogether, the WGM110 can achieve long-range connectivity of 300 to 500 meters (typical).
- The module also provides highly flexible hardware interfaces, including a UART, I2C, SPI and USB, which help to simplify connections to different peripherals and sensors.
- At the core of this module is an ultra-low-power EFM32 Gecko microcontroller with a 48 MHz ARM Cortex-M3 core featuring 1 MByte of flash memory and 128 kBytes of RAM.
- The WGM110 can operate using Silicon Labs’ BGScript scripting language, a highly functional language that supports standalone design or hosting applications on the module and, when running in Network Co-Processor (NCP) mode, can also ease the complexity of TCP/IP networking to enable the host controller to be fully dedicated to processing customer application tasks.
Additionally, the robust Wi-Fi protocol stack on the WGM110 includes HTTP/TLS/TCP/IP protocols for cloud integration, and the software API is compatible with Silicon Labs’ existing WF121 module for easy migration.
Mouser is also stocking the Silicon Labs SLWSTK6120A Wireless Starter Kit, which provides a complete development platform for the WGM110 Wi-Fi module. The SLWSTK6120A kit includes a mainboard with J-Link debugger, virtual COM port, and LCD display; a radio board with onboard WGM110 module; and an expansion board with a three-axis accelerometer, joystick, and I2C expansion capabilities.
Availability and Applications
Silicon Labs’ WGM110 Wi-Fi module is available now through Mouser Electronics in a small, 14.4 × 21 × 2mm footprint — up to 40 percent smaller than competitive alternatives. The module meets key RF certifications worldwide including CE, FCC, IC and other regional certifications, and is ideally suited toward incorporating Wi-Fi functionality into a broad array of RF wireless and Internet of Things (IoT) applications, including industrial/M2M systems, remote controls, wireless sensors, thermostats, connected home products, automotive infotainment, point-of-sale devices, and fitness and medical equipment.