STMicroelectronics’new high-temperature SCRs (Silicon-Controlled Rectifiers) enable manufacturers of voltage regulators, inrush current limiters for switch-mode power supplies, motor-control circuits, and industrial solid-state relays to improve the reliability of their applications or reduce costs by using smaller heatsinks.
Matching a broad range of industrial and two/three-wheel vehicle applications, ST’shigh-temperatureSCRs are particularly well suited to motorcycle voltage regulators in markets where low cost and high reliability are key requirements.
The new devices can operate with junction temperatures of up to 150oC and offer on-state RMS current ratings of 12, 16, and 20A. They are designed to offer tight control of the gate triggering current, leading to enhanced reproducibility on the customers’ assembly lines with corresponding improvements in the reliability of the end products.
Key Technical Features Include:
- High noise immunity (dV/dtup to 1000V/μs)
- 600V blocking voltage
- High turn-on current rise (dI/dt = 100 A/μs)
- ECOPACK2 packaging for compliance with safety regulations and faster certification
- Compliance with UL standard E81734
- Available in a variety of insulated and non-insulated packages, with insulated packages withstanding up to 2000 VRMS.
Pricing and Availability
Several versions of the 12A, 16A, and 20A devices are obtainable now in volume production in TO-220AB and TO-220FPAB packages (also in D²PAK for the 12A device), with prices ranging from US$0.37 to US$0.48 in quantities of 1000 units.