STMicroelectronics enhances the benefits of fast-acting overload protection to applications at higher power ratings, launches the STEF01 programmable electronic fuse.
The new STEF01 programmable electronic fuse from STMicroelectronics powered by integrated low-RDS(ON)VIPower MOSFET is said to sustain up to 4A continuous current over a wide operating input-voltage range of 8V to 48V, with low insertion loss.
When connected in series to the main power rail, the STMicroelectronics STEF01 programmable electronic fuse protects the load against over-current and over-voltage.
The voltage is clamped to a user-defined maximum, preset with external resistors. Excessive current is restricted to the programmed safe limit by controlling the internal power MOSFET and folds back to a lower limit if a strong over-current or short-circuit is detected.
- The STEF01 leverages ST’s BCD8 high-voltage process to integrate value-added features, including dV/dt control to prevent excessive inrush current during startup or hot-swap insertion. This slows the output-voltage ramp-up time to at least 3ms, which can be increased if desired by connecting an external capacitor.
- Programmable Under-Voltage Lockout (UVLO), also set using external components, allows the user to fine-tune the desired voltage-rail minimum value to suit the load requirements.
- Thermal shutdown with latching or auto-retry, and maximum dissipated-power protection, which each prevent exceptionally high power from damaging the STEF01 when starting up into heavy capacitive loads, or during large load transients or short-circuits at high voltage.
- There is also a power-good indicator, and an enable/fault pin that can be used as either a status monitor or to control the device.
- A dedicated gate-driver output for controlling an external N-channel MOSFET simplifies implementation of reverse-current protection.
Key Applications Include
The STEF01 delivers flexible and convenient protection for a wide range of applications, including industrial hot-swap boards and control equipment, circuit breakers, power buses, security or lighting systems, telecom power modules, or distributed power systems.
Availability and Pricing
The STEF01 is available now in 14-pin HTSSOP14 package, priced from $1.00 for orders of 1000 pieces. For further information please go to Click here.
For Further info about the new STEF01 programmable electronic fuse from STMicroelectronics: Click here