The new accelerometer from STMicroelectronics delivers superior accuracy, flexibility, and energy savings by supporting multiple low-power and low-noise settings.
STMicroelectronics ’ launches LIS2DW12 3-axis accelerometer to take context sensing in Internet-of-Things (IoT) and wearable devices to the next level.
The new accelerometer touts to deliver superior accuracy, flexibility, and energy savings by supporting multiple low-power and low-noise settings.
Flaunting a tiny 2mm x 2mm x 0.7mm package, the LIS2DW12 has 16-bit output and can be set to prioritize low power consumption or low-noise performance, with five settings in either mode.
- A specific feature coupled with four settings in each mode save waking the system to check for data, and allow efficient single-byte transfers thereby further minimizing system power consumption and helping extend battery life.
- Noise density down to 90µg/√Hz is at least 25% lower than similar devices in the marketplace, which improves the measurement accuracy in next-gen applications from healthcare, fitness, and gaming to industrial sensing and environmental monitoring.
- The LIS2DW12 offers high resolution and flexibility to optimize noise performance and power consumption in a small 2mm x 2mm x 0.7mm package.
- Drawing as little as 50nA in standby, or 380nA in low-power mode at 1.6Hz Output Data Rate, the LIS2DW12 adds negligible load on the battery.
- The supply-voltage range of 1.62-3.6V allows extended operation from small coin or button cells. Features that support system-level power savings include a 32-level FIFO, a built-in temperature sensor, and a programmable interrupt for freefall, wake up, activity/inactivity, 6D/4D orientation detection, and tap/double-tap detection.
The new rollout will join the company’s low-power, high-performance MEMS product family (alongside devices like LSM6DSM, LSM6DSL, and LSM303AH).
Availability and Pricing
Engineering samples of the LIS2DW12 are available now, and volume production will begin in Q1 2017. Budgetary pricing is from $0.75 for orders of 1000 pieces.