ST’s High-Voltage Converter Caters Power-Efficiency in IoT and Industry 4.0 Applications
STMicroelectronics introduces a high-voltage power converter that is touted to allow designers to build an ultra-low-consumption, simple, and cost-effective SMPS (Switched-Mode Power Supply) with a 5V output voltage.
Designed for low-power applications in home appliances, building, lighting, and motion control, as well as small industrial and consumer applications, the VIPER01 is known to operate directly from a rectified mains supply and integrates an 800V avalanche-rugged Power MOSFET with PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation) current-mode control and multiple protection circuits. The converter is also said to provide the auxiliary supply to microcontrollers in IoT devices that are permanently connected to the Internet or a local network.
Key Nuggets of the new rollout:
- 800 V avalanche-rugged Power MOSFET allowing ultra-wide VAC input range;
- Embedded HV start-up and sense-FET;
- Current mode PWM controller;
- Drain current limit protection;
- Wide supply-voltage range from 4.5V to 30V;
- Self-supply option allows auxiliary winding or bias components to be removed;
- Jittered switching frequency reduces the EMI filter cost;
- Embedded error amplifier with 1.2V reference voltage;
- Protections with automatic restart include overload/short-circuit, line or output OVP, maximum duty cycle counter, VCC clamp;
- Embedded thermal shutdown;
- Built-in soft-start for improved system reliability.
Extending ST’s proprietary BCD (Bipolar-CMOS-DMOS) technology, the new device is the second-gen of the VIPerPlus family of high-voltage converters.
Additionally, the VIPER01 enables designers to meet the most stringent energy-saving standards, as it has very low power consumption and switches automatically to pulse frequency modulation under light load conditions.
Key applications also include fly-back, buck, and buck-boost converter topologies, while the integrated high-voltage start-up, sense-FET, error amplifier, and oscillator with jitter allow a complete application to be designed with the minimum number of external components.
The VIPER01 comes with a set of tools including evaluation kits, application notes, and spice models to jumpstart more robust, safer, and cost-effective SMPS designs.
Availability and Pricing
VIPER01 is available now in volume at a price of US$ 0.364 for 1,000 units.