Vishay Intertechnology new Side-view Metal Holder comes in Lower Assembly Costs and Increase Reliability
Vishay Intertechnology announces to broaden its optoelectronics portfolio by unveiling a new side-view metal holder. The new device will foster company’s TSOP33xxx and TSOP53xxx series of miniature Minimold infrared (IR) receiver modules for IR remote control applications.
Taking advantage of the receivers’ support for IR reflow soldering, the Vishay Semiconductors P1xP holder enables:
- Pin-in-paste (PiP) soldering to reduce assembly costs and increase reliability.
- As designers continue to replace through-hole devices requiring wave soldering with higher-temperature equivalents.
- PiP technology has emerged as a new cost-effective method for mounting the components — together with surface-mount packages — via reflow soldering.
- In the PiP process, after components are positioned on the PCB, the entire board is soldered at once using only the reflow oven, eliminating the wave-soldering step for through-hole devices.
- This results in a more reliable solder process flow at a lower cost.
- The holder released is available for PCBs with thicknesses from 0 mm to 1.6 mm. Featuring three-point, surface-mount solderable tabs, the P1xP reduces the number of automatic insertion points while improving co-linearity and grounding for better RF and EMI rejection.
- Dry-packed in stiff plastic trays for automatic pick-and-place assembly, the holders feature a large pick-and-place area and clips to securely hold the IR receiver module.
For products such as televisions, set-top boxes, air conditioners, and high-end audio systems, Vishay’s Minimold devices provide high sensitivity with typical irradiance of 0.08 mW/m² at 0° for the TSOP33xxx series and 0.12 mW/m² for the TSOP53xxx series. The Minimold package is also available with the proven “F” option for an enhanced optical filter against out-of-band optical noise, while TSOP53xxx series devices are highly resistant to RF interference. RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green, the devices are also available in a top-view surface-mount version.
Samples and production quantities of TSOP33xxx and TSOP53xxx series receivers featuring the new metal holder are available now, with lead times of four to six weeks.