Vishay Intertechnology introduces two new 60 A VRPower smart power stages with integrated current and temperature monitors for multi-phase DC/DC systems.
Engineered to meet the need for real-time processor and memory power consumption monitoring in high-performance telecom equipment and datacenter servers – the new duo released combines power MOSFETs, an advanced driver IC, and a bootstrap FET in the thermally enhanced low-profile 5 mm by 5 mm by 0.66 mm PowerPAK MLP55-32L / QFN package.
The Vishay Siliconix SiC645 and SiC645A simplify designs and deliver higher accuracy than comparable standard DrMOS products while offering a 16 % smaller footprint than similar competing devices.
Key Features Include:
- Unlike solutions that monitor power consumption using inductor DCR sensing — a technique with lower accuracy that requires external components such as a thermistor for temperature compensation — the SiC645 and SiC645A utilize low-side MOSFET RDS(ON) sensing to accurately report current (IMON) and temperature (TMON) using 5 mV/A and 8 mV/C signals, respectively.
- This method of current sensing is accurate over a wide load range and is internally temperature-compensated, simplifying designs by removing the need for external circuitry.
- In addition, it eliminates current sense traces while delivering fast performance without noise or external filtering.
- The power stages’ improved accuracy meets Intel’s stringent VR13 and VR13.x current monitoring accuracy requirements and allows for better utilization of a server CPU’s turbo boost capability, a critical advantage for datacenter customers requiring improved performance without increasing costs.
- Light-load efficiency is supported by a dedicated low-side FET control pin.
- The package of the SiC645 and SiC645A can be cooled on both sides, while low package parasitic resistance and inductance enable high switching frequencies of up to 2 MHz.
- Fault protection features for the RoHS-compliant, halogen-free devices include high-side FET short and overcurrent protection, over-temperature protection, and undervoltage lockout (UVLO).
- The power stages feature open drain fault reporting output.
- The SiC645 and SiC645A support 5 V and 3.3 V PWM tri-level input, respectively, and are compatible with Intersil’s ISL68/69xx and ISL958xx digital multiphase controllers.
The devices offer an input range of 4.5 V to 18 V and are optimized for high-frequency and high-efficiency VRMs and VRDs to power microprocessors and memory for servers, networking, and cloud computing; GPUs in high-performance graphic cards and video game consoles; as well as general purpose multi-phase point-of-load (POL) DC/DC converters.
Samples and production quantities of the smart power stages are available now, with lead times of 10 weeks.